A Description of the Blazing World
By Michael Murphy
Published in 2010 by Broadview Press
Finished reading: July 7th, 2013
Rating: 3 / 5
After Morgan Wells’s wife leaves him, a postcard from France arrives. It is addressed to a Morgan Wells—but not the Morgan Wells who receives it. Desperate to be led out of his despair, Morgan decides to read the postcard as a sign and embark upon a surreal journey to find, observe, and meet the other Morgan Wellses in the city of Toronto.
On the day that a 2003 citywide power outage submerges Toronto in darkness, a teenage boy finds a missive of his own: a copy of Margaret Cavendish’s The Blazing World, one of the first science fiction novels ever written. The boy, obsessed with the Choose Your Own Adventure series, interprets the coincidence of finding the book during the blackout as a premonition, and begins looking for proof that the end of the world is near.
- Go back to the main list of books
- Previous book: Ordering Disorder: Grid Principles for Web Design
- Next book: Incidents in the Life of Markus Paul
- Random book: All Times Have Been Modern
- Permanent link: https://chrisjones.io/books/911/
- Short link: https://cjio.link/911/
- You can subscribe to books on the feeds page