The Big Tancook village library is the direct result of isolated people pitching in to create something for the whole community. Basically, this back corner of the gallery/museum/rec centre is full of books donated by residents. You can take a book for as long as you like and return it when you’re done, just like a normal library. There is also a section that is stocked by the library system on the mainland, the books from there come over on the ferry once a week, and the books on the island get returned. It’s really cool.
You can come in a take a seat in the rocking chair, enjoy one of the many books on many subjects and breathe in the air only an old wood building half full of books can have. I think it might be worth the ferry ride over there just to sit in that chair and relax.
© 2010 All rights reserved..
Permanent link: https://chrisjones.io/photography/village-library-big-tancook-island/
Subscribe: on the Feeds page
- Camera: Mamiya 6 medium-format rangefinder
- Lens: Mamiya 75mm
- Filter: None
- Film: Kodak Portra 160NC
- Developer: Unicolor C41
- Development: Small tank for 3.5 minutes at 40 degrees Celsius. Agitation was for the first ten seconds, then four inver sions every thirty seconds.
- Date: September, 2010
- Location: 44.450693, -64.168631
- what3words: swiftly.pastel.allow
- Copyright: © 2010 Chris Jones. All rights reserved. More information.
- Empty bottles, Big Tancook General Store
- Blacksmith, Historical Acadian Village
- Door, Warden's Cabin
- Door and window, Warden's Cabin
- Celtic Cross, St. Matthew's Church