I decided to spend an hour or so in the evening after work out on a little jut of land with my 4x5 large-format camera. As usual, I took my medium-format camera along, just in case. It turned out to be a beautiful evening and I got four sheets with the big camera and finished a roll that was in the medium camera. The evening is such an amazing time to take photos. The light is pure and dramatic, and when you have silhouettes like this, you can’t lose.
I should mention that this little just of land is Horseshoe Island Park, at the end of Quinpool Road in Halifax. The Northwest Arm is just that, an arm of water that is basically a long, narrow protected bay. At the north end of the arm — in shadow here in the top-right corner — is the Armdale Rotary, and at the south end of the arm, well, is the Atlantic Ocean.
© 2010 All rights reserved..
Permanent link: https://chrisjones.io/photography/boat-on-northwest-arm-may-2010/
Subscribe: on the Feeds page
- Camera: Mamiya 6 medium-format rangefinder
- Lens: Mamiya 75mm
- Filter: #15 deep yellow
- Film: Fuji Neopan 400
- Developer: Rodinal 1+50
- Development: Small tank for 11 minutes at 20 degrees Celsius. Agitation was for the first thirty seconds, then five inversions per minute.
- Date: May, 2010
- Location: 44.639465, -63.613326
- what3words: terms.hushed.nitrate
- Copyright: © 2010 Chris Jones. All rights reserved. More information.
- Stoddard House, Barrington Street
- Trees in fog, Citadel hill
- Scotia Square, World Pinhole Day
- Wharf light in fog
- NSCAD University, End of Granville Street