Nova Scotia has plenty of beaches, naturally. With 13,300 kilometres of coastline there’s bound to be a few choice beaches around. Summerville Beach is one of the nicest beach on the south shore of the province, a 1km white sand beach with lots of room and beautiful water. When my mom was out for her annual visit this year, we ventured down to the area and explored some of the coastline. On our way back to Liverpool from Shelburne we took the scenic coastal road and stopped into Summerville Beach Provincial Park.
Since it was near the end of October, we were well past the high season when both locals and tourists flock to the beaches. This year, the beach would have been quite busy thanks to the incredible weather we had. On this day, we were the only two people on the entire beach. The wind was up a little — isn’t it always in the North Atlantic? — but it wasn’t as cold as I thought it’d be. We walked the beach for a few minutes without the bone-chilling cold I was expecting.
On the way back to the car I spotted the tall beach grass growing along the top of the dunes and against the grey water and sky. I didn’t have to get too far off the path, just a few steps, making sure I was very careful not to disturb the ground. A single shot of the grass in the wind makes for a beautiful photo.
© 2012 All rights reserved..
Permanent link: https://chrisjones.io/photography/beach-grass-in-autumn-summerville-beach/
Subscribe: on the Feeds page
- Camera: Mamiya 6 medium-format rangefinder
- Lens: Mamiya 75mm
- Filter: #15 deep yellow
- Film: Kodak 400TX rated at ISO320
- Developer: Rodinal 1+50
- Development: Small tank for 12 minutes at 20 degrees Celsius. Agitation was for the first thirty seconds, then five inversions per minute.
- Date: October, 2012
- Location: 43.952663, -64.816534
- what3words: propping.clashing.ignorance
- Copyright: © 2012 Chris Jones. All rights reserved. More information.
- For distant viewing
- Campfire smoke and trees, November 2016
- Moonlit clouds over Cape Chignecto
- Moonlit clouds over Advocate harbour
- Peskowesk Brook, October 2013