The Catcher in the Rye
By J.D. Salinger
Published in 2001 by Back Bay Books
Originally published in 1951
Finished reading: April 30th, 2010
Rating: 4 / 5
It’s Christmas time and Holden Caulfield has just been expelled from yet another school…
Fleeing the crooks at Pencey Prep, he pinballs around New York City seeking solace in fleeting encounters—shooting the bull with strangers in dive hotels, wandering alone round Central Park, getting beaten up by pimps and cut down by erstwhile girlfriends. The city is beautiful and terrible, in all its neon loneliness and seedy glamour, its mingled sense of possibility and emptiness. Holden passes through it like a ghost, thinking always of his kid sister Phoebe, the only person who really understands him, and his determination to escape the phonies and find a life of true meaning.
- Go back to the main list of books
- Previous book: You Shall Know Our Velocity!
- Next book: Jamie's Dinners: The Essential Family Cookbook
- Random book: Lands of Lost Borders: Out of Bounds on the Silk Road
- Permanent link: https://chrisjones.io/books/771/
- Short link: https://cjio.link/771/
- You can subscribe to books on the feeds page